As part of the strategic reopening plan for the Altoona Area Public Library, the following limited services will be offered beginning Monday, June 1, 2020.
WI-FI DRIVE-IN ZONE
The library will continue to offer free Wi-Fi with a limited range outside the building. The parking lot parallel to 17th Street (Youth Room parking lot) is the designated DRIVE-IN ZONE. Patrons may use the Wi-Fi from the convenience of their vehicles, using their own devices. We ask that all patrons remain in their vehicles while using the Wi-Fi and that all vehicles are parked in a parking spot. Any vehicles parked alongside the building will be required to move.
The library will be providing a READBOX, a shelf stocked with books, puzzles and other materials, Monday – Friday between the hours 10am – 3pm. Community members are encouraged to browse this collection and borrow as needed, and return items in the book drop at the front door when they are finished with them. The READBOX will be clearly marked and stationed at the main door, 5th Avenue entrance.
ONLINE CARD APPLICATIONS
In order to provide access to our digital collections and databases, the library will be issuing library cards via phone and online application. Please call the library 946-0417 ext. 125, Monday – Friday between 8:30am – 4:30pm to request your card. Patrons may also visit https://altoona.sparkpa.org/eg/opac/register to apply online for a card. It is very important to provide a valid phone number so that library staff can provide you with your card number. Once the card has been activated, patrons may access CloudLibrary (eBooks and eAudio), Newspaper Archive, POWER Library, and other resources.
Staff is available to continue to provide reference services via the phone. Please call 946-0417 ext. 161, Monday – Friday between 8:30am – 4:30pm.
SCHEDULED CURBSIDE PICK-UP
The Library is trying to do our part in making it easier for people to stay at home and promote social distancing by offering an individualized, scheduled curbside pick-up service during the closure.
Below are the guidelines for scheduling a curbside pick-up.
- All books requested must be currently available at the Altoona Area Public Library. (Books from other locations are unavailable)
- Materials may be requested by phone, 946-0417 ext. 125, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include in the email:
- First and Last Name
- Phone number
- Library card number, if possible
- Please include as much information about your selections as possible
- Incomplete information may delay your email request.
- You will be notified when your items are ready for pick-up
- Items ready for pick-up will be located on a shelf next to the Youth Room door, along the 17th Street side of the building. Items will be bagged with the patron’s first name and last initial stapled to the outside of the bag.
- Due dates for all materials will be on a receipt, included in the bag.
- Instructions will be included about how to return materials when you are done with them.
- Staff will not be available to assist during pick-up.
- All materials will be sanitized before they are lent out and after they are returned.
Please feel free to call the library if there is anything else that we may assist you with while continuing to follow the social distancing guidelines.